The investment by the sugar industry in cane railway networks is significant. No other agricultural industry makes a similar contribution (between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in replacement value) to reduce road traffic during the cane harvest through use of private transport infrastructure, such as cane railways.
Cane Rail Facts
- Total track length – 4,000km
- Number of locomotives: 250 (all diesel hydraulic)
- Number of bins: 52,000 (four wheel and bogie)
- Bin capacity: 4 tonnes to 14 tonnes
- Locomotive power: Up to 520 kilowatts
- Longest run: 119 km, typical run: 13 kms up to 35 kms.
- Loco top speed: 40 km/h
- Train haul capacity: up to 2000 tonnes
- Train length: up to 1 kilometre.
Public and employee safety is a priority every crushing season for sugar milling companies. Public awareness campaigns help to minimise any safety risks.